I’ve previously shared the amusing story of how my own dog managed to swallow the squeaker from one of his toys. Although it may sound funny, at the time, I was filled with panic until I consulted with a vet who reassured me that it should pass through my dog’s system.
However, the time it takes for a dog to pass a squeaker can vary depending on the size of the squeaker and the dog’s specific circumstances. So, if your furry friend has swallowed a squeaker, it’s crucial to contact your vet immediately to seek advice and guidance.
Can a Dog Naturally Pass a Squeaker?
Before delving into the details of how long it takes for a dog to pass a squeaker, let’s address a fundamental question: can it even be naturally expelled through their poop?
The answer is both yes and no. It depends on several factors such as the size of the squeaker and the size of the dog. Most dog toy squeakers have a rounded or cylindrical shape with smooth sides, which can aid in their passage through the digestive system.
A small dog can pass a squeaker, but various factors contribute to the outcome. It’s a matter of chance.
However, there is an additional design feature common to both shapes: the nozzle. This nozzle can complicate things and potentially hinder the squeaker’s journey through your dog’s system.
Hence, whether or not a squeaker is pooped out depends on multiple elements, including:
- Is the squeaker small enough to navigate your dog’s system?
- Is your dog large enough for the squeaker to comfortably pass through?
- Can the squeaker make its way through your dog’s internal passages without getting wedged by the nozzle?
In my own dog’s case, all the stars aligned, and my vet was confident that my dog would successfully excrete the squeaker due to its favorable position within his body. However, determining the positioning without medical imaging, such as an X-ray or ultrasound at the vet, is challenging.
What Causes a Squeaker to Get Stuck?
A dog’s digestive tract includes the mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, and finally, the rectum. This is the point at which a squeaker could potentially be passed through… if it makes it that far.
Though most foreign objects will naturally traverse the dog’s system within 24 hours, some can become lodged inside the dog for a longer duration. For instance, if a squeaker fails to pass into the intestine, it may remain in the dog’s stomach for months. In such cases, the dog may experience intermittent chronic vomiting due to the obstructed foreign object.
According to the Zoetis website:
“If the object becomes lodged and completely blocks the intestine, an urgent situation develops as the surrounding intestine deteriorates, and the animal’s condition may worsen rapidly. This can happen within hours of ingesting a foreign object or more commonly will happen later on and worsen over time.”
If the dog’s intestine becomes perforated, the situation quickly deteriorates, potentially resulting in the dog’s demise.
Nevertheless, in many instances, a squeaker will navigate its way through a dog’s system and be expelled via the feces. If a squeaker manages to reach the colon, it should successfully pass through. However, if the squeaker is too large, it often becomes trapped in the stomach or small intestine.
Warning Signs of a Blocked Squeaker
While there is a possibility that the squeaker will naturally pass through your dog, there’s also the risk that it won’t. Therefore, it is crucial to always consult with a vet.
Here are some clear warning signs that indicate the squeaker won’t pass through your dog’s system and should be treated as an emergency:
- Your dog is frequently vomiting.
- Your dog is pawing at their mouth.
- Your dog appears to be choking or experiencing coughing fits.
- Your dog drools more than usual.
- Your dog displays a loss of appetite.
- Your dog exhibits unusual behavior, lethargy, or depression.
- Your dog has diarrhea.
- Your dog is constipated due to blockage.
- Your dog visibly shows signs of pain.
Remember, the information provided here should not replace professional advice from a veterinarian. It is based on personal experience and online research.
If your dog has unintentionally swallowed a squeaker, don’t hesitate to reach out to your vet. While there’s a good chance your dog will be alright, never take any risks. There’s no guarantee that the squeaker will pass through naturally.
Although my dog managed to pass the squeaker within a day, I understand that not every furry friend may be as fortunate.
You might also like…
Dogs have an uncanny ability to surprise us with their peculiar behavior. Here’s a collection of recent content you may have missed.