How Long Does It Take for a Dog to Pass a Ring? [Swallowed!]

I wanted to share a story with you about how my dog almost swallowed my wife’s wedding ring. It was a terrifying moment, but we managed to grab it from his mouth just in time. After discussing the incident with a veterinarian friend, I learned how dangerous it could have been. However, I also discovered that, in some cases, a swallowed ring can pass through a dog’s system and come out in their poop.

My dog swallowed a ring: what happens?

If your dog has swallowed a ring, it is important to seek immediate advice from a veterinarian. Swallowing a ring can lead to blockages, internal tears, and even zinc poisoning if the ring contains zinc components. However, if the ring is small and smooth with no decorations or stones, there is a chance it might pass through your dog’s system. The question then becomes, how long will it take?

I decided to research this topic and here’s what I found out…

Can a dog poop out a ring when swallowed?

Before we dive into the mechanics of how long it takes for a dog to pass a ring, let’s address whether it is even possible for a dog to poop out a swallowed ring. The answer is, it depends. The size, shape, and materials of the ring, as well as the size of your dog, play a role in whether the ring can pass through their system. If the ring is too big or has sharp edges, it can get stuck or cause internal injuries. In such cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the ring and prevent further damage.

READ MORE  Why Dogs Have a Fear of Balloons (But Why Some Dogs Love Them!)

In theory, smooth rings have a better chance of safely passing through a dog’s digestive system. However, it is important not to take any chances. There is also a risk of zinc poisoning if the ring contains zinc components.

Factors that determine whether a ring can be pooped out include:

  • Size compatibility with the dog’s system
  • Absence of sharp edges, decorations, or stones that could cause internal injuries
  • Adequate size of the dog for the ring to pass
  • Smooth passage without any internal lodging or blockage

It is crucial to consult a veterinarian for a professional opinion and diagnosis, as they can provide an accurate assessment of the situation based on your dog’s specific circumstances.

How can a ring get stuck after being swallowed by a dog?

A dog’s digestive tract begins at the mouth and goes through the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, and rectum. A small ring has the potential to pass through this entire tract and be excreted in the poop. However, some large or oddly-shaped objects can get stuck inside a dog for longer periods. A ring that fails to reach the intestines may stay in the stomach for months, causing chronic vomiting. Furthermore, if a ring with sharp edges or jewels perforates the dog’s intestines, it can lead to rapid deterioration and even death.

While many rings pass through a dog’s system and get pooped out, some may get trapped in the stomach or small intestine. This is why it is essential to monitor the situation closely and seek veterinary assistance if needed.

Should you be worried about zinc poisoning?

Zinc poisoning is a concern when it comes to rings and jewelry that contain zinc components. Swallowed coins, for example, can be particularly dangerous for dogs due to their zinc composition. Although zinc is not commonly found in most rings, it is still worth considering.

READ MORE  Stop Dogs From Chewing and Scratching Walls

When a dog ingests a ring that contains zinc, their stomach acid can dissolve the outer layer of copper coating, exposing them to zinc. This exposure can lead to severe symptoms such as anemia, pale gums, jaundice (yellowed eyes), destruction of red blood cells, and potentially life-threatening organ failures like liver, kidney, and heart failure.

How to tell if the ring won’t pass and be pooped out

While it is possible for a ring to pass through a dog’s digestive system, there is also a chance that it won’t be excreted in their poop. If you suspect that your dog has swallowed a ring, it is crucial to consult a veterinarian. They can perform an X-ray to determine the ring’s position and size, which will help assess the potential risks of zinc poisoning or internal injuries. In some cases, surgical intervention may be necessary to remove the ring before it reaches the gastrointestinal tract.

How do I know if my dog swallowed a wedding ring?

Some signs can indicate that your dog has swallowed a ring and that it won’t pass through naturally. These signs include vomiting, pawing at the mouth, coughing or choking, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, unusual behavior or lethargy, diarrhea, constipation, and obvious signs of pain. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is essential to seek veterinary attention immediately.

Please note that the information provided here is not intended to replace veterinary advice. It is based on my own personal experience and online research.


If your dog swallows a wedding ring or any other foreign object, it is crucial to call a vet right away. While many dogs can poop out swallowed rings within 24 hours, not all of them will be that lucky. The safety and well-being of your furry friend should always be a priority, so never take any chances.

READ MORE  How to Prevent a Cat from Urinating in the Dog's Bed in 5 Simple Steps

You might also like…

Dogs do the strangest things, and here are some recent articles you might have missed:

Remember to take good care of your pets and stay curious about their fascinating behaviors!

Trả lời

Email của bạn sẽ không được hiển thị công khai. Các trường bắt buộc được đánh dấu *